Wednesday, February 1, 2012

week3o

February 1, 2012


Image downloaded from:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/internet/arieiswadi/83290902.jpg?o=16
Blogging is new to me, both reading and writing. I have tried many times over the last decade to understand what all the fuss was about- with ‘surfing the net’ in general, and blogging in particular. I must say I still don’t get it. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a Neanderthal resisting the ‘Technology Era’. On the contrary, I am very adept in surfing the ‘net for information, research, communication; I even buy my textbooks digitally. But I just don’t understand what is so compelling that people are developing repetitive strain injuries from typing and texting, becoming addicted to the internet to the point of neglecting their children, or feel inspired to abandon all discretion and judgment in order to share their deepest, darkest secrets on the internet. That is what intrigued me about taking this class- I want to understand it better to see if there is something there for me, if I have just missed the point.

Today I feel like I am all over the map. It is the third week of school and I am just developing a “groove” for myself with my classes. If you looked at my schedule, you’d see the proverbial dog’s breakfast: a collection of classes that are only connected by the fact that they are the last remaining items to be completed so I can graduate, degree in hand, at the end of this semester and proceed to graduate school. (My graduate school aspirations are another part of the mix that I will surely revisit in future postings.)

So, I feel at a loss as to where to start as I embark on my new adventure into the ‘Blogosphere’. What do people blog about, anyway? Is there some kind of protocol or ‘Blog Etiquette’, for lack of a better term? When I Googled the term “Blog Etiquette” the search bar gave me a number of suggestions to narrow it down, including craft, reposting, kids, students, photos, specific years, linking, and comments. I decided to stick with just the simple term, and Voila! In a mere 0.30 seconds it came up with a list of possibilities- 85.5 million, to be exact! (Google, 2012) I might add that it was one of the few times when the results pages were not loaded up with ‘sponsored links’, not a single one in fact.

As I started going through the list, I had to think about, “what clues should I look for to know which one to choose?” I noticed that I gravitated towards those that sounded like legitimate businesses, and steered clear of the ones whose names sounded like they were more of the amateur or home-grown variety. This is important, because if I am to launch a successful blog someday, I must pay attention to the ‘hooks’ and what I call the ‘billboards’- the notices that you might scan, but not click. So I guess you could say that a professional sounding web address, like bloggingbasics101.com (Nelson, 2009) and  pcadvisor.co.uk (Babb, 2002) were  hooks, while tipjunkie.com (Turk, Date unknown) and  fictiongroupie.blogspot.com (Loren, 2011) were billboards

In the end, I went with the PCAdvisor website, not only because it is sponsored by a reputable magazine, but also because it had the most comprehensive, well written, and logically presented advice. At the conclusion of this exercise I have gained some insights into what a potential audience might look for, as well as what to avoid; and I have gathered some useful information to help me successfully navigate the blogosphere in the future. All in all, well worth the time and effort!

Works Cited

Babb, P. (2002, June 7). Blog etiquette: Top 10 dos & don'ts. Retrieved February 1, 2012, from PCAdvisor Expert Advice You Can Trust: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/9550/blog-etiquette-top-10-dos--donts/
Google. (2012, February 1). Search Results. Google.
Loren, R. (2011, January 11). Guest Blogging Etiquette 101. Retrieved February 2012, 2012, from Fiction Groupie: http://fictiongroupie.blogspot.com/2012/01/guest-blogging-etiquette-101.html
Nelson, M. (2009, August 8). 5 Blogging Etiquette Tips for Beginning Bloggers. Retrieved February 1, 2012, from Blogging Basics 101- What Do You Want To Know?: http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/2009/08/1639/
Turk, L. (Date unknown). Blog Etiquette or Blogtiquette. Retrieved February 1, 2012, from Tip Junkie: http://www.tipjunkie.com/blog-etiquette-or-blogtiquette/

1 comment:

  1. It's good that you're taking this course and trying to learn about blogging and hopefully other social mediums. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up in a time where things like blogs and facebook were not present. I am sure I would be fine, it's all about what you're used to, but even still. I think that everyone should know how to work the internet, because if you don't know how then you're missing out on an infinate amount of information that is available to you for free! Congrats on taking these steps!

    ReplyDelete